Insert an rXg at the border to bring a comprehensive arsenal of control, communication and cognizance technology to the edge.
The ability to exert total control over the end-user population of a revenue generating network without any modifications to client devices is an absolute necessity when deploying a profitable RGN. The rXg is a special purpose network head-end designed to meet the needs of the RGN operator combining both capital and recurring cost effectiveness with an extraordinarily easy to use management console. By deploying an rXg, a network operator can exert total control over nearly any aspect of the end-user experience. Examples include:
- One-click, per-user traffic shaping policies with rate limiting and priority enabling multiple levels of service. Rate guarantees enable the operator to offer service level agreements for latency sensitive applications such as VoIP, VoD, IoT and more.
- Group based destination restrictions enabling operators to offer arbitrary levels of access based on nearly any criteria. The operator can choose to enable free access for only a small subset of popular sites or charge a premium for content filtering.
- Simple integration with a broad spectrum of merchant processors and automatically place end-users into groups based on what they have paid.
- Limit access based on elapsed time or bandwidth consumption.
The conversation between the operator and end-users is intricately woven into all profitable RGN models. With mobile network operators (and MVNOs), subscription plan revenue is used to cover network operational costs while over the top content and device financing carry the margin. The same relationship can be found with cable TV operators (e.g. Spectrum), satellite tv providers (DirectTV), OTT IPTV (Hulu/YouTube TV) and streaming content service providers (Netflix) where advertising, premium content and pay-per-view provide profitability while basic subscriptions cover operating costs. The rXg brings similar communication capabilities to the operators of IP RGNs.
- Forced browser redirection to a diverse set of gateway hosted high performance captive portals that serve pre-and-post authentication advertisement and location based messaging. The portal is also integrated with a fully automated zero operator intervention OSS web application that supports a broad spectrum of billing options as well as metered content on-demand.
- Arbitrary HTML page rewriting enables the operator inject static or dynamic advertising or alert based messaging onto every web page the end-user views. When combined with a handful of simple rewriting recipes, intersitial advertising and alerts, even forced viewing of video content is easily implemented.
Inspecting, recording, analyzing and understanding how end-users consume the available resources as well as how they interact with the offered service levels is a critically important aspect of operating an RGN. Unfortunately, most operators disregard this vital component of RGN operation until a disaster strikes at which point instrumentation is required for debugging. The rXg integrates a comprehensive instrumentation package along with long term archival and analysis tools equipping the operator with simple, accessible and complete cognizance over the end-user population.
- Collection, graphing and analysis of network bandwidth consumption on a per-user basis.
- View real-time packet-per-second and bits-per-second rates.
- Graph historical PPS and BPS rates going back years.
- Automatically enforce usage limits and other policies based on total bytes transferred over a given period of time.
- Record, inspect and report on website visits by individual end-users or groups.
- Track activity to automatically direct advertising campaigns based on usage profiling.
- Understand which websites are frequented.
- Detect abusive behavior.
- Comply with regulatory requirements.
It's like a cheat code for building scalable, manageable, profitable and secure networks.